Pantry staples and frozen veggies combine to make a hearty, home-made main dish for dinner.
Serving Size: 1/12 of the recipe
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 can cream of mushroom, or chicken, or celery or cheese soup (10.75 ounce, condensed, reduced-sodium)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (1%)
- 7 1/2 cups broccoli or cauliflower or mixed vegetables (frozen, chopped)
- 1/2 pound cheese (grated or sliced)
- 3 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12x9x2 inch baking pan.
- In a saucepan, mix rice and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and set aside for additional 15 minutes.
- Saute onions in margarine (or butter) until tender.
- Mix soup, milk, 1/2 cup of water, onions, and rice. Spoon mixture into baking pan.
- Thaw and drain the vegetables and then spread over the rice mixture.
- Spread the cheese evenly over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and rice is bubbly.
Source: USDA ChooseMyPlate, ChooseMyPlate.gov
Please note, the information provided throughout this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and video, on or available through this website is for general information purposes only. If you are experiencing related symptoms, please visit your doctor or call 9-1-1 in an emergency.